Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Killswitch Engage - Holy Diver

+6
Fenix40
metalmaniac37
evil scientist
Maverick-Mechanic
LordHangnail
Headbanger
10 posters

:: MMFE Zone :: Reviews

Go down

Killswitch Engage - Holy Diver Empty Killswitch Engage - Holy Diver

Post by Headbanger Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:11 pm

Killswitch Engage – Holy Diver
Genre: metalcore
Killswitch Engage - Holy Diver Killswitch_engage-holy_diver_(cds)
1: Holy Diver (4:05)

....................................................................................................

Rape Of A Classic 11%

This release is horrible. It's like they sat together and we're wondering how they could destroy a classic metal song. Now I can go on and on and on about how much this sucks, but instead I'll start with the good points.

The drumming had it's moments. There is no denying that the drummer has got skills and knows what he is doing. It only a shame that he ruins it with the generic -core-ish drumming.

With the vocals I have a love/hate relationship. I like the more heavy metal vocals, but than the -core screams are just terrible. If they didn't added those screams it would be much better, still bad but better. Also the -core-ish echo when he sings the words Holy Diver isn't cool, but just pure annoying.

Now as a guitar fan I can say that it was just awfull. The opening riff is a watered down version of the original and than after the intro it sounds like every other -core riff you can hear it's the song Holy Diver, but if you didn't know it was a cover you would just be thinking it's a random -core song. Than the solo is just uninspired garbage. The riffs after the solo are again random -core riffs. They also use some weird high notes just on random spots that sound idiotic and out of place.

Last but not least the bass... whatever happend to the bass??? I turn the volume up, turn the treble down and put bass on 100%, but I can't hear it. Maybe since I'm not a big bass fan I just can't hear, but most of the time when the volume is up, treble down and bass 100%, I hear the bass playing, but not on this song.

Well that all I have to say about it, my advice don't buy it.

Last edited by on Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Headbanger
Headbanger

Male Number of posts : 888
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Back to top Go down

Killswitch Engage - Holy Diver Empty Re: Killswitch Engage - Holy Diver

Post by LordHangnail Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:01 pm

I thought it was a good modern twist on the classic song, but I seem to be the only metalhead who thinks so. Haha. Oh well.
LordHangnail
LordHangnail

Male Number of posts : 507

http://www.metal-observer.com/articles.php?lid=1&sid=5&a=lm&m=13

Back to top Go down

Post by Headbanger Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:52 pm

This isn't the final review yet. After re-reading it I'm thinking of adding some stuff, deleting some stuff and some minor changes.
Headbanger
Headbanger

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick-Mechanic Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:24 pm

i didn't think it was that bad, but there's still no competition to DIO.
Maverick-Mechanic
Maverick-Mechanic

Male Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2008-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by evil scientist Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:24 pm

(To be honest... I hate the original as it is)
evil scientist
evil scientist

Male Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2008-01-05

http://down-by-the-water.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick-Mechanic Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:11 am

evil scientist wrote:(To be honest... I hate the original as it is)
that's perfectly fine. speak your mind and dont hesitate make your opinions known. you have the right to your opinion and to disagree with what people think. thats how the exchange of ideas goes. i personally prefer the DIO version, thats just my opinion.
Maverick-Mechanic
Maverick-Mechanic

Male Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2008-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by metalmaniac37 Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:36 am

I love the Dio version, Hate the Killswitch version.
metalmaniac37
metalmaniac37

Male Number of posts : 706

Back to top Go down

Post by Fenix40 Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:59 am

Lol I read that review before on M-A. Had no clue it was you HB. Anyways I love the song. It may just be my gayness for KSE, but it was just awesome.

Fenix40

Male Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by LordHangnail Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:07 am

Fenix40 wrote:Lol I read that review before on M-A. Had no clue it was you HB. Anyways I love the song. It may just be my gayness for KSE, but it was just awesome.

I too possess this gayness you speak of. I love them to death, and I doubt I'll stop anytime soon. And the video for this song is lolzeriffic.
LordHangnail
LordHangnail

Male Number of posts : 507

http://www.metal-observer.com/articles.php?lid=1&sid=5&a=lm&m=13

Back to top Go down

Post by Headbanger Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:52 pm

Fenix40 wrote:Lol I read that review before on M-A. Had no clue it was you HB. Anyways I love the song. It may just be my gayness for KSE, but it was just awesome.
I didn't post this on M-A since the review isn't the final version yet... I also had no idea there was a similair one on M-A. I was planning on submiting the final version of my review to M-A.
Headbanger
Headbanger

Back to top Go down

Post by unrealbe Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:22 pm

I know you all want my professional opinion so here it is: It is not bad, not bad at all. You just have to see it as a KA song and no longer as a dio song. Of course the dio version is the best. (great live as well). KA did a good job.
unrealbe
unrealbe

Male Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2008-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Jester Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:50 pm

I haven't heard it.
Jester
Jester

Male Number of posts : 1136

http://www.myspace.com/tehhippo

Back to top Go down

Post by unrealbe Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:17 pm

very usefull post ...

anyway here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKxaeKGVxpU
unrealbe
unrealbe

Male Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2008-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Jester Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:40 pm

haha...I'm the king of useful posts. =P

I'm watching it.

EDIT: Pretty good. I like Dio's more though. =]
Jester
Jester

Male Number of posts : 1136

http://www.myspace.com/tehhippo

Back to top Go down

Post by Headbanger Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:32 pm

I think this will be the final result. It now looks more like I had it in my head.

Rape Of A Classic 11%

This release is horrible. It's like they sat together and we're wondering how they could destroy a classic metal song. Now I can go on and on and on about how much this sucks, but instead I'll start with the good points.

The drumming had it's moments. There is no denying that the drummer has got skills and knows what he is doing. It's only a shame that he ruins it with the generic -core drumming.

With the vocals I have a love/hate relationship. I like the more heavy metal vocals, but than the typical metalcore screams are just terrible. If they didn't added those screams it would be much better, still bad but better. Also the echo when he sings the words Holy Diver isn't cool, but just pure annoying.

Now as a guitar fan I can say that it was just awfull. The opening riff is a watered down version of the original and than after the intro it sounds like a random metalcore riff. Than the solo is just uninspired garbage. The riffs after the solo are again random metalcore riffs. They also use some weird high notes just on random spots that sound out of place and idiotic.

Last but not least the bass... whatever happend to the bass??? I turn the volume up, turn the treble down and put bass on 100%, but I can't hear it. Maybe since I'm not a big bass fan I just can't hear it, but most of the time when the volume is up, treble down and bass 100%, I hear the bass playing, but this song isn't like normal songs and just leaves the bass out.

Now after all this there is only one complaint left. It doesn't sound like the original. You can hear it's a cover, but besides the intro, outro and lyrics nothing is like the original. Now I don't mind adding your own style to a cover, but they just took it way too far with this one.

Well that's all I have to say about it. My advice: don't buy, not even download it, cause it's just a waste of free hard-drive space. If you really want to know how it sounds look the video up on youtube.

Last edited by on Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Headbanger
Headbanger

Back to top Go down

Post by Fenix40 Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:36 am

H'mmm I coulda sworn that review was up on M-A.

Fenix40

Male Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Loke Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:53 am

Rape Of A Classic 12%

This release is horrible. It's like the band sat together and were wondering how they could destroy a classic metal song. Now I can go on and on and on about how much this sucks, but instead I'll start with the good points.

The drumming had it's moments. There is no denying that the drummer has got skills, and that he knows what he is doing. It's only a shame that he ruins it with the generic -core drumming.

With the vocals I have a love/hate relationship. I like the more heavy metal vocals, but then the typical metalcore screams are just terrible, if they didn't add those screams it would be much better, still bad but better. Also the echo when he sings the words Holy Diver isn't cool, but just pure annoying.

Now as a guitar fan I can say that it was just awful. The opening riff is a watered down version of the original, and than after the intro it sounds like a random metalcore riff. Then the solo is just uninspired garbage, the riffs after the solo are again random metalcore riffs. They also use some weird high notes at random times that sound out of place and idiotic.

Last but not least, the bass... whatever happened to the bass??? I turn the volume up, turn the treble down and put bass on 100%, but I can't hear it. Maybe since I'm not a big bass fan I just can't hear it. But most of the time when the volume is up, treble down and bass 100%, I hear the bass playing, but this song isn't like normal songs and just leaves the bass out.

Now after all this there is only one complaint left: It doesn't sound like the original. You can hear it's a cover, but besides the intro, outro and lyrics nothing is like the original. Now, I don't mind adding your own style to a cover, but they just took it way too far with this one.

Well that's all I have to say about it. My advice: don't buy, don't even download it, cause it's just a waste of free hard-drive space. If you really want to know how it sounds look the video up on youtube.

Ediiiit! (I hadn't realized there were actually reviews down here. Sorry for my slacking.)

Loke

Male Number of posts : 572

Back to top Go down

Post by Headbanger Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:44 pm

Did you already corrected my English, or is that still supposed to happen?
Headbanger
Headbanger

Back to top Go down

Post by darkreif Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:33 pm

I like the song - i thought it was an interesting take on a classic. Of course I would go gay for Dio and I'm not even that big of a KsE fan. I thought it was the best song writing I've heard from the band Razz
darkreif
darkreif

Male Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2007-12-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down